I. Choose the word or phrase which completes each sentence best.
1.Good teachers are always _____________great demand
a) orb) inc) of
2.There has been a sharp increase in the number of claims _____________ industrial injury compensation.
a) aboutb) ofc) for
3. Can we begin by discussing matters _____________from the last meeting?
a) arisingb) risingc) raising
4. The theory seems vulnerable _____________ criticism.
a) forb) toc) on
5. One of the ways to _____________the movement of people in and out of a country is by regular_____________.
a) monitor; controllingb) control; checkingc) check; controlling
6.The campaign is designed to increase public awareness _____________the issue.
a) inb) aboutc) of
7.The price of oil went up_____________$2 a barrel.
a) inb) onc) by
8.Sales went up rapidly five years ago and the decreased sharply; they ___________ stable ever since.
a) are remainingb) remainc) have remained
9.The company has a _____________organizational structure.
a) sophisticatedb) complicatedс) complex
10. Though it is part of marketing _____________has no direct involvement in selling.
a) promotionb) public relationsc) advertising
11.I've heard Franz didn't take that job. If I ______________ him, I ____________.
a) had been; would have takenb)were; would have takenc) were; would take
12. She was told by the sales assistant that she could not have a___________ without a receipt.
a) rebateb) discountc) refund
13. Despite steady increases in sales their net profit ___________between 1992 -1995.
a) have been fallingb) fellc) had fallen
14.I'm a private investigator, but there are plenty of ways to________what I do, such as calling myself a «security
a) distortb) confusec) disguise
15. __________they are with an adult, children are not allowed to use the swimming pool.
a) Providedb) Unlessc) As long as
16.Some difficulties ___________with the new computers.
a) have arisenb) have risenc) have raised
17.The government has been faced with a number of___________ recently.a) crisisb)crisesc) crisises
18.Surely it would be ___________to get a second opinion.
a) sensualb) sensitivec) sensible
19.There was an advertisement ___________a free day of skiing in Vermont.
a) ofb) forc) with
20.We didn't expect to get such a sympathetic response ___________our appeal for help.
a) tob) atc) for
Write an email based on the following brief. Write about 50–60 words.
You have just finished a two-month summer placement with an international company. You would like to thank your line manager, Julie Johns, for all her help and support and let her line manager know she did a good job.
Write an email to Julie Johns:
·Thank her for the opportunity to work with the company
·Thank her for all her support during your placement
·Identify one occasion where she really helped you
·Say what you learned